Friday, December 02, 2005

Watching the Birds From My Window


Today I'm going to go to <"Wild Birds Unlimited"> to get a bird-feeder for the sparrows and chicadees that are needing some winter seeds and suet. I hear the little chicadees in the bushes outside my window, and I'm hoping they will visit.

We had these birds over in Montana, and I got used to their call, which seemed so lonesome, and since moving here, I've not heard that particular call from them, but rather a different one. I can't figure this out, but I enjoy this little bird, all the same.

One of the stories I read about the Blackfeet Indians centered around the chicadee. Long ago, they would tell the monthes of winter by the little barbs that grew along the Chicadee's tongue. Each month it grew another barb, and when spring came, no more barbs grew....true or not, I don't know. But, the little chicadees are my favorite bird. <This website >offers a tantalizing journal of bird-watching in the Pacific Northwest.