Thursday, November 02, 2006

This is the image Megan saw when she took a picture of Taraz and I on the hike last Saturday. It was towards the middle of the hike, because we had removed our jackets, vests, longsleeved shirts, scarves, hats and gloves.

I was a little disconcerted as my vision had become altered. I was able to see everything clearly within about a thirty-foot range, but everything in the distance had become double and slightly blurred. I had no periferal vision. Anything that I looked at out out the sides of my eyes resembled this... a painting by Yuan Zuo!

Well, humor aside, I've noticed on my walks that after about 20 minutes I get double vision, which subsides eventually when I stop walking. I've not let the condition interfere in my walks, I just walk more softly and slowly. (I thought perhaps the absence of fat tissue around my eyes was causing the nerves to get battered! )

So, I saw the opthamologist on Tuesday. He couldn't get a stable reading on anything. My vision fluctuates too much. Sometimes, with double vision, they prescribe prism lenses, and that straightens everything out. But, even at rest, my eyes weren't providing any stable readings. The exam indicated that of the three nerves he viewed, one of them is paralyzed, possibly due to a stroke, or a tumor, or another abnormality. I'll be getting an MRI next week to determine what the presenting issues are. From there, we'll determine my options and treatment - if there is any.

Until then, I can still keep walking. When I awaken in the morning I can see clearly all the gorgeous autumn color in the trees across the street. I can read without glasses. I can work on the computer without difficulty. When we go canoeing I can see everything clearly because I'm sitting still. The only other concern is extreme light sensitivity presented by cataract surgery, which means that I must wear a visor and sunglasses when I'm outside.

I'm settling in to this new information. I continue to look at everything, stopping along the way to really see it. No change there. Now, I just wait for more information.