Friday, October 19, 2007

Of Whirlygigs, Windstorms, and Patterns of Life


For the past several days we've had a storm front move in, with strong winds and rain. I've been a little housebound, waiting for a dry-spell, so I can go for my walks. I've managed a couple almost every day, coming into the house a bit wind-blown and wet.

Weather changes are always so dramatic and can bring sudden dangers. I read in the paper today about a wind-surfer who lost his luck out in the storm - they found his body floating on top of the water. Another lady was stranded in her car because a power pole had crashed nearby. Tree limbs and shrubs were torn and battered.

I've been busy this afternoon, cooking for the Baha'i Holy Day, "Birth of the Bab". Our community is holding a potluck, and I experimented with a Quinoa Vegetable Pilaf and some apple pies - miniatures. I used some of the wild orchard apples we collected last weekend, and added ground flax seed to the crust to make it more wholesome. I took out my cookie cutter and cut circles of crust, and left-overs were used for a few cookies, which were dressed in a chocolate fudge frosting. (I 'm mesmerized with whirligigs twirling in peoples yards, with apples, chocolate, and the patterns to an acorn squash.) These pies remind me of the decorative lattice-work on the centerpiece on the dome of the Baha'i House of Worship in Wilmette, Illinois.

Once my pies were done, I got busy on the
Quinoa Vegetable Pilaf. I adapted a recipe from "Gourmet Grains - Main Dishes Made of Nature", a book my daughter Laurel gave me about 10 years ago. The quinoa grain is an ancient grain originating in the Andes in Peru. It is very nutty and contains as much as 20 percent protein. It only takes 10 minutes to boil, preferably in broth.

While the quinoa was simmering, I stir-fried celery, onion, garlic, and carrots in butter and
Worcester Sauce, adding a little salt and plum syrup. That done, I added more assorted veggies (cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli shreds), and beefed up the mix with some canned tomatoes and black beans. Parsley flakes and cumin add a nice aroma. A nice rich sauce develops, and I drained it, then boiled it down so that it becomes quite flavorful. Then I pour it into the quinoa to add flavor to the grain. Put in a glass serving dish, the long rectangle of colors and textures remind me of the patterns on a fine Persian carpet!

And, so, I've celebrated this Holy Day with color, texture, pattern - and flavors.
Every day lately we've had a special occasion - the pattern of Baha'i life - a Devotional at the Olsen's, a Feast, a Fireside at the Nolan's in Gig Harbor, a Ruhi Class here with new friends. On Saturday we plan to attend the devotions at the Black Men's Gathering out at Brighton Creek, then attend a wedding in the afternoon.

I have a few photos that capture some of this last week's highlights:

Our friend Wynne, who has offered so much service to the Baha'i community is leaving in a few days, moving back to Hawaii, where she grew up. I will especially miss her. She was a dear friend as well as our Ruhi tutor for several years.
This is Carla Jo and Mauricio playing at the Nolan's fireside.
BJ is keeping an eye on her little friend Adeeb at Feast.
Bahereh is expecting a second child in December.

And, lastly....this was the zucchini-carrot cake and the gingerbread that I took to the Nolan's Fireside last Saturday. A smidgen remained, and we enjoyed it over the campfire last weekend, right before bedtime.