Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Winter Storm Batters Western Washington

I received this beautiful image in my e-mail a few days ago, taken by Kathy Hall. While a few flakes were falling in Tacoma, snow was blanketing the Gig Harbor area. It melted so fast here that it only lasted a few hours - enough to remember winter wonderlands I've seen over in Montana over the years.

But as short lived as the snow was, the rain pounding Western Washington has created a state of emergency. 80,000 people are without power, the Interstate is closed down along flooded areas, and two people have died due to the storm.


I've heard this storm called the "Pineapple Express" due to the warm winds that swirl in. In spite of torrential rain and wind - almost hurricane velocities in some areas - temperatures were up to 59 degrees yesterday. When there was a lull in the storm I got outside for a morning and an afternoon walk just to feel the warmth on my skin. Yes - shirt sleeve weather!

Yesterday was considered one of the wettest days ever, with over 3.48 inches of rain. Flooding has caused washed out roads and embankments, sink-holes, snapping trees and power poles - and caused a train to derail. Schools are closed, and gas pumps are without power. Our local news program has been showing homes that have slid down hillsides. Rescue helicopters from the Coast Guard and the Navy were dispatched to rescue people and pets stranded in their homes. The water was 10 feet high in some places. It will take a long time to recover from this storm.

On a lighter note, I'll share this photo of my grand-daughter Daisy.
Kathy e-mailed me this one too. Thanks, Kathy, for sharing your photos.

If you haven't been over to Ruhiyyih's blog, you'll want to check out the dance steps at her staff Christmas party!