Monday, February 21, 2011

Morning Coffee With Ruhiyyih

Ruhiyyih and Matt drove over for the weekend. We celebrated Matt's birthday and also a belated Christmas at Rue and Annie's so Ruhiyyih could give gifts.

Our furnace died about six weeks ago, so Ruhiyyih and I bundled up in the morning, bracing ourselves with hot coffee and heat from the propane fireplace. We could have repaired the furnace for $800, but it is an old second-hand furnace intended for a mobile home, and has never really heated our house well. So, I opted to rely on the propane fireplace and a few space heaters, if necessary. In time, after George finishes installing the insulation under the house, we'll purchase a new furnace. Until then, I stay warm, cooking in the kitchen and drinking lots of hot tea.

I've read recently that many elderly people in Kyrgyzstan suffer through the winter.
Energy shortages contribute to the problem:
“The main problem in the winter is heating. I have no money to buy coal. I usually use animal dung and wood for heating. I spent my pension on flour, so I have no money for coal... When my children visit me, they bring some food with them, which is really helpful for me.”

Ruhiyyih shared survival stories, the measures she and Matt have taken to become independent, should they have to 'live off the grid'. She said not to worry about her if we do not have phone contact. She said she is mainly worried about her dad, who, if he is stranded in Kitsap County, will have to paddle the canoe home if his car doesn't work! Well, I've told him to stay put, carry a warm blanket and make do at his office. He did this once this winter, when snow conditions were so bad he couldn't drive home.