Wednesday, October 07, 2015

For Taraz - Village Life, Long Ago




I made this many years ago, for Taraz.  Took 8 hours.  I remember my Dad making an old fashioned general store for me, when I was in the 7th grade, a classroom project similar to this one.  The roof came off, and inside the general store were bags of grain, cans of food, a scale, and many pioneer miniatures I'd collected.  

I also made a little cabin for Laurel, out of a shoe box, when she was 7.  For three years she lived with her father in Illinois, I lived in Montana.  She came for a week's visit each year, and when she went back, on the airplane one year, she carried the little box, with a lid.  She traveled all by herself, a direct flight.  You cannot love a child from a distance.  It requires proximity, and this was all I could send along with her, to remember me.  Imagine, one week out of the entire year, to be with her Mother.  I would never agree to that arrangement now that I know the toll it takes.