Thursday, March 23, 2006

Lima Bean Salad - For Breakfast?


I'll have to admit: I'm not a breakfast person. After my morning coffee, with half and half and sugar, I've got power to last until 10:30, and that's when I have my first real meal of the day. Frequently it is a lima bean salad, with hummus and peta bread on the side. (Click on image to enlarge.)

Perhaps I just need to really sit down and relax after doing morning housework, and 10:30 is a good time to break away. I do know one thing, I'm chewing for a good 25 minutes.....Salads are peaceful pastimes.

To make this little ditty, just start with fresh baby spinach leaves, shredded carrots and broccoli, and mixed greens. Add finely chopped cilantro, celery, and red onion. If you've got them, add a few tomato slices or cucumber. Add a salad seasoning that has pepper, lemon and lime, dill weed, tarragon and basil and garlic. We've got a mixture like this called "Seafood Seasoning, and it's got sesame seeds in it too. Quite versatile.

Then, add coleslaw dressing to the beans (canned limas shown here, but you can use any kind of bean, like fava, or a mixture of them) and mix separately from the other salad ingredients. Pour this mixture over the salad greens, and add a touch of green onion to garnish. Sprouts, like mung bean are quite pleasant as a garnish too - and I've sprouted my own in the past. (I've also grown those huge fava beans, too.)

The shredded carrots are my own experiment. I mix a little red wine vinegar and honey, a little water, cover and microwave for 6 minutes - because I like them slightly cooked, not raw.

I make up a big batch of these separate three salads - the tossed greens, the beans, and the carrots, and I have them for a meal every day if possible.