Thursday, July 13, 2006

Flowers In My Garden - Sweet Peas


I really count my blessings now-a-days. (Primarily because I managed to survive raising 5 kids.)

But, one of the benefits of having 3 sons is that eventually you will get 3 more daughters when the sons fall in love and get married. And, with Megan and Taraz getting married in September, our family will include another very pretty face.

My son Rue (short for Ruhu'llah; Arabic meaning 'the spirit of God') married Annie two years ago, and I'll never forget when this oldest son of mine brought Annie over to meet us for the first time.

She was so demure, so conservatively dressed in a skirt and blouse, with her long hair spilling over her shoulders. There was a shy story between them, not yet told. They were just beginning to spend time together.


When I saw Rue again, I said, "That is the woman you should marry." He already knew it. There was a sense of pride, that his selection had pleased his mom.


They had a very romantic courtship, with flowers and cards, and he began attending Annie's church so he could get to know the people who were important to her. Annie's parents also attend the same little church out in the country, where Annie sings in the choir.

Rue's courtship lasted over a year, and then Annie and Rue had a lovely church wedding, with all the trimmings - the beautiful bridal gown, the ladies attending, the walk down the isle. That was such an incredibly proud day for our son, and the beginning of Annie's and Rue's journey through life together.

Megan and Taraz (short for Taraz'ullah, Arabic for 'the ornament of God') have had a different type of courtship, as Baha'i youth serving within the activities of the Tacoma Baha'i community. I have seen Megan on an almost weekly basis as part of the classes associated with the Ruhi Study Circles, and I've gotten to know the quality of her scholarship there - always prepared, and creative with projects.


Both Annie and Megan have a quiet, gentle manner. There is this lovely femininity that I enjoy seeing in both of them. Especially now that I'm now older, they remind me of spring flowers in the garden. Fresh, like a summer morning.


I'm so glad that both these young women are part of my life. Both feel like daughters. And I enjoy watching them, being near them. I know they will start where I've left off, moving Rue and Taraz through the world with support and good decisions, comforting them with love and patience.

........in this garden of God,
lift up your voices
and sing the blissful anthems
of the spirit.
Become ye as the birds
who offer Him their thanks,
and in the blossoming bowers of life,
chant ye such melodies,
as will dazzle the minds
of those who know.
~ 'Abdu'l-Baha