Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sharing The Spirit of Mothers Day

Katherine Hall, Annie's mom took this picture of George and I with Rue and Annie on Sunday. We attended the Mothers Day celebration at Discovery Baptist Church. While Annie presented a lesson and projects for the junior youth class, we listened to Pastor Suko give a sermon on "Transforming Grace". Mothers have a great role, Pastor Suko said, "to bring spiritual life to their children". We listened as Pastor Suko presented some stories that, although they have no women in the story, are important for women in the training of their children. All people are in need of the transforming spirit of Faith in their lives. Here, a woman from the Ukrane is being interviewed, conveying the different customs for honoring mothers. She also spoke about the process of teaching Christianity to the people in that part of the world. Prior to the sermon, there was a time of testimonials, from members of the congreation who honored memories of their mothers. It was a time of rejoicing and tears, as people recalled the sacrifices and hard work of their mothers. Afterwards, a few of the ladies came to greet me, and hugs and kind words were exchanged. I mentioned to one woman that my mother was a tough ole Montana woman, and that although she is now gone, I use her name on my Google account for Blogger. Each time I open a new window to access my account, I have to type in her name - a memory and a playful reminder of how important she is in my life!

This is another photo that Kathy took that day - of my son Rue and myself. One of the services that she provides to the church is to document, with photography, the special events of the church. She recently attended the Ladies High Tea. She sent me the link and I'll share it - lots of pretty hats, bright spirits, and fine china.

Afterwards the four of us went to the Hot Iron Mongolian grill for lunch. This was a little 'hole in the wall' type place, a mom and pop place that had the best stir-fry! We walked along a long counter filled with various fresh vegetables, fish, meat and noodles, and selected our favorites. They were put in a big bowl, then taken here to the grill. I enjoyed the fresh prawns, and there were mushrooms, carrots, peppers, celery, tomatoes, olives, onions, broccoli and spinach, pineapple and water chestnuts. There were about 12 different types of sauces that were then poured on top, as a flavoring for the stir-fry. I put on the lemon-garlic and a bit of the plum sauce. A scoop of rice was put on the side, topped with a favorite sauce. It was supremely yummy, a perfect Mothers Day luncheon.