Friday, November 07, 2008

Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie

This is a vegan recipe - no milk or eggs - and it was really a hit with my family. Agave syrup provides the sweetening, which is great for diabetics. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese and an extra-firm silken tofu provide the first creamy layer, some of which is reserved for the second layer of pumpkin. A bit of rum flavoring, cinnamon and fresh-ground nutmeg are added to the pumpkin. To simplify, a ready-made graham cracker crust is used. I swirled a bit of molasses and finely shredded chocolate on top, to make it crusty, like candy. Recipe here, at FatFree Vegan Kitchen.

I'm culling through the last of old red and russet potatoes, tomatoes and on
ions. Yellow and red peppers were on sale at a good price, so I made roasted vegetables. I added brussels sprouts, carrots, winter squash, and seasoned the works with chorizo sausage, garlic, olive oil, chile powder, coriander, turmeric, and paunch puran. A bit of Mrs. Dash and some finely shredded kale and parsley, and it was ready for dinner last night within 40 minutes. We baked some roast beef separately from the vegetables, so I saved the pot liquor and drizzled it over the vegetables at the end.

Some of my kids stayed over last night, so I made Arugula Salad with Huckleberries and Feta Cheese. (I've still got several huge plants remaining in the garden.)
My salad had a simple balsamic/olive oil dressing, with a dash of pepper and garlic. A bit of honey, honey mustard and coriander also work well with this salad when rice wine vinegar is used. I simmered the huckleberries briefly to extract a little of the juice for the dressing.

This Wheat Berry Salad was served for Feast last Monday, along with a pot of pumpkin soup. The salad has finely chopped celery, carrots, onion, red and yellow peppers, garlic, and raisens. Shredded mustard greens and a bit of fennel offer a garnish. I deliberately omitted the salt, keeping the salad very light-flavored. I've found that older people have sodium issues, and it is just better to leave it out - if it is desired, offer the salt shaker.

I also made
Mohogany Cake , making two small cakes with one batter. A heavy dose of chocolate and sour cream made the cake very dense. This is a two-tiered cake.

The rest of the batter was put into a tiny bundt pan, a perfect cake size for just the two of us. Powdered sugar provided a simple topping. Very often, the desserts that I make are half-recipe sizes, and baked in miniature pans. This works well for a family of two.