Friday, November 14, 2008

Pumpkin Waffles - An Afternoon Snack


Yes, I'm still using pumpkin! One of my sons came over yesterday, and asked, "What's to eat?" I made him Pumpkin Waffles With Peaches. Here's the waffle recipe:

Pumpkin Waffles:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour flour
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 large pinch cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons agave nectar
3/4 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cups milk (or soy)
2 tablespoons orange juice

I read one of Annie Proulx's novels this week, "Fine Just The Way It Is". She wrote "The Shipping News" and "Brokeback Mountain". (When a writer gets two of her novels made into films, you know the stories are good.) "Fine Just The Way It Is" is a collection of short stories about life in the West. "Every ranch ...had lost a boy," through rodeo smashups, bad horses, and mishaps out on the range. I was glad the stories were short, as I couldn't put the book down once I started reading. If you know how to handle grief and loss, this is a good book to read. Proulx just leaves you sitting there, stunned.