Saturday, September 25, 2010

Swamped in Garden Production!

The previous posts feature garden production - meals, canning and pickling, chutneys, pesto mayonnaise, stews and soups. A busy time!

When factoring in the time, food preparation (and clean-up) takes enormous time and energy. Fortunately, we've had cool weather, so I have been able to 'pick and prepare' as the garden allows.

Many of our tomatoes are still green due to cool weather. I'll pick them to avoid blossom end rot, which occurs with too much rain, and haul in the remainder of the onions and turnips.

Tomorrow I'll pickle turnips with a few beets, and make 'pink pickles', then can several jars of green tomato relish. Green tomatoes work well in most Indian sambars, since the spices work wonderfully with sour/bitter vegetables. So, time is on my side if the tomatoes do not ripen up quickly.

I'm hoping for an Indian Summer to pull our recently planted fall crops through - collards, kale, chard and beets. George planted these, and I sure hope I get a second wind to process them.