Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Meal for Hungry Travelers

When my sister and her husband arrived for a ten-day visit I had a meal waiting - Rasam soup; Boston baked beans with pork belly; cottage cheese; curried garbanzo salad; and beet-red onion-orange-walnut salad.

When they sat down and looked at the food my brother-in-law said, "Real Food!", meaning, primarily plant-based whole food prepared at home.

Throughout the ten days they were here I prepared about twenty-five meals, most of them vegan, heart-healthy, and with middle-eastern origins - Egyptian, Indian, and a little Italian. George threw in a meal of fresh cod and another featuring pork chops, and he cooked most of the breakfasts - bacon and eggs, pancakes. We
all enjoyed that, especially on a hiking day. And one day our guests ordered pizza to enjoy while we all watched 'Survivor'.

I had a great time improvising, and emptying out the freezer of bread, soup, paneer, and pappadam filled with khoshari or curry. It was enjoyable improvising, sharing some of my most favorite
recipes, going over my 'workbooks', recipes and photos. This apple pecan pie had a flaxmeal/walnut crust and butterscotch syrup poured over the top.

When all is said and done, every artist hungers for self expression, and everyone hungry after an all-day hike will eat just about anything!