Friday, September 01, 2006

Moving Day For Rahmat

He's the hairy one, grimacing. And that is my son Ruhu'llah, with the tidy hair. (Yes, I prefer tidy hair!)

I've used the van to help move Rahmat's things back into the garage this week, since his apartment building is being turned into condos and the rent went sky-high. He hopes to find something else withing a week or two.

I've moved these kids of mine so many times, I can't recall all the comings and goings. We no sooner get George's study all cleared out, and it's packed with everybody's stuff again - that's why George, who seldom uses his office, will always ask me for a stamp. He can't find anything in his office. (And I keep my stash hidden in an old purse in my closet.)

Fortunately, Rahmat is a minimalist, so only a small portion of the garage will hold his larger items. Is that another way of politely saying that he is still quite impoverished? Sofa, chair, table, bookshelf, weights, bike, a few clothes, a microwave and a few kitchen utensils. Took 3 days, just one load a day, as we had to fit it in between his split shifts at work.

Just as we got it all piled into the garage, Rahmat had to rearrange all of it, so his dad could get out the huge speakers for his gig on the weekend at Brighton Creek - an arts festival. George will do the music all day for 3 days.

We only had one major mishap during the moving.....that, and a dent in the wall leading upstairs. Ruhu'llah laughed, and said, "Well, Mom, Rahmat suddendly decided to stop while we were walking with that sofa, and my sunglasses were hanging from my shirt collar."

I fixed some spaghetti, and the guys were out in the patio relaxing over lunch. Ruh'ullah said he was at a mortgage lending class last night, and the guest speaker came up to him and said, "Don't I know you? Didn't you used to work at the Fred Meyer on 19th Street?"

Rue said he had, and the gentleman said, "You know there was a real unusual kid that used to work there. Had real wild hair. He was about 17. He came up to me and said he'd seen my sign on the bulletin board about my lost cat. "

"Your cat was lost, and you posted a sign at Fred Meyer?"

"Yeah, we had the sweetest old orange calico cat, had her for years, and we hoped that by posting a sign, someone would find her." The man laughed and said, "And that kid said he found my cat! He said to come on over to his place, and I'd have my cat back. So, I drove over there, and when that kid took me into the kitchen, there in a box on the floor was a tiny black kitten, meowing and forlorn, scampering up to the kid. I picked the kitten up, and since I was going to go to the pound later that day to look for my cat, I told the kid I'd take the kitten. The boy handed her over saying that he couldn't keep her, and he wanted the little black kitten to have a good home."

Ruhu'llah grinned while listening, then told this teacher that 'that kid' was his younger brother Taraz. The teacher said, "Tell your brother that I never had the heart to take that kitten to the pound. I ended up taking her home, and we've enjoyed her now for five years."