Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Today was one of those gorgeous Indian Summer days, where one would like to be strolling along a country road, or curled up in the sunshine on the front porch with a good book - I've got one, "Logos and Civilization" by Nader Saiedi - and if my posts are light, it is because I'm soaking up the sunshine on the porch with this good book. One intriguing quote: "History, therefore, instead of being an obstacle to mystical experience, becomes the only way human beings can approach divine Reality. In this way history is spiritualized and spirit is historicized." It is a historicization of the spiritual journey, among other themes, and is 'quite academic', which, with the sunshine on the porch, tends to foster sleep. It was with the third or fourth nod, that I thought I had better arise and move, or the afternoon would be wasted. Tomatoes were ripe on the vine, and I headed in that direction.

After hand-picking about five pounds, I set to slicing, removing seeds, and blenderizing. This is a new approach to tomato sauce, as usually I make sauce and process it in Kerr jars, to store over winter. This time I just plan to freeze it, and I wanted the skins as part of the blend, along with sauteed onions, Italian seasonings, garlic and pepper. I brought it to a boil, then let it cool. Once that is done, I bagged it up in small sandwich bags, enough for a small serving at a time, meant to be added to Minestrone soup or Tomato-based Clam Chowder. This way, a more substantial base is part of the soup, and a richer flavor as well. It is a new system, for a small taste thrill and nutrients throughout the winter. I froze all the little bags, which are placed in a container in the corner of my freezer. When I make a small rice portion, a serving can go on top, or a small packet can go with a grilled cheese sandwich, for dipping. Either way, my afternoon was productive, and now I can resume my reading on the porch, looking like I've not done a thing all day.