Monday, April 21, 2008

Too Pretty For Soup!

A few days ago I purchased these organic roots - turnip, parsnip, rutabaga, onion, potato, celery root, fennel root, and golden beets. All of them (except the golden beets) will be used for my Root Soup.

I'd planned to make Root Soup over the weekend, but made the mistake of purchasing a little oval basket to hold the roots. Once I put the roots in the basket, I couldn't make the soup! Everything was just too interesting! (We went to the Mongolian Grill for lunch instead, having a wonderful meal prepared while we watched.)
The golden beets had such exquisite color and root tendrils. This turnip was so beautiful in the afternoon light. I angled my camera up close so it could magnify the detail.
It is a journey looking through the lens of a camera, poking it into the depths of fennel fronds, careening under celery root to examine pock-marks, angling over turnips and rutabaga. I kept the basket in the sunshine while filming, then placed it on our coffee table.

We were busy the entire weekend with house and garden projects - George and Rahmat cleaned out the garage and I worked out in the yard. Taraz and Megan stayed over Friday night.
About 9:00 I served them some waffles that I made earlier in the day - Whole Wheat Citrus Waffles with mangoes, strawberries, Mandarin oranges and bananas on top.
These waffles are hearty, with wheat germ and orange zest in the batter. The orange zest is from Mandarin oranges boiled in brown sugar. Store any extra in the freezer for other recipes.
I dry them on a rack, and when there are left-overs I roast them in the oven until they are completely dried out. They make good sweetened breadcrumbs for desserts.

These little phyllo cups held left-over Bhutan red rice-white basmati rice pilaf. They work well as a garnish/embellishment to a simple salad, like watercress with lime honey dressing. George bought a bundle of watercress, filled a jar with water, and slid the root bundle down inside. We kept it on the windowsill for two days until lunch on Sunday. It was like eating a spring bouquet.