Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Well, we've enjoyed the Root Soup, and it is almost half gone. It is really like a barley soup, with vegetables. I added tiny meatballs, and my homemade breadcrumbs for the top.

This soup has leeks, shallots, onions, garlic, carrots, fennel root, celery root, parsnips, rutabaga, turnip, and potatoes all lightly mashed after the vegetables have simmered for 45 minutes. I used green curry powder, an east-Indian spice which was so much better than the orange curry. I served the soup with warm cornbread, butter and honey. I made two small loaves, one for the freezer and one for dinner.


On Sunday morning I made everyone a vegetable hash with salmon and tofu. The tofu is thinly sliced and fried, then used as a topping. Veggies are kale, onion and garlic, broccoli shards, thinly sliced carrots, bok choy, peppers, and cauliflower. I seasoned the slaw with a sprinkling of turmeric and cumin and stir-fryed it for only a few seconds to sear the skin and bring out the color. A mixture of almonds, peanuts and dried cranberries is sprinkled on top.

This butterscotch muffin was an experiment. I prepared a chocolate brownie batter and lined the bottom of the muffin tin with a thin layer. Then I poured a butterscotch brownie batter over the top, adding a little milk to both layers to make them more cake-like.

A few melted chocolate chips add a surprise in the center.