Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Mocha Cream Puffs

I'll always associate these bite-size cream puffs with my son Taraz, who has been stranded here for a few days due to the snowstorm.

I was reviewing a food magazine from Metropolitan Market that featured holiday desserts - all of them featuring chocolate - he saw a photo and said, "Oh Mom, could you make those?"
The photograph showed a French croquembouche, a tower of puffs all glued together with frosting. With a little modification, I knew Taraz could have a taste thrill that evening ... if I only had whipping cream, powdered sugar, unsalted butter, and Droste Cocoa Powder.

When Taraz asked if we could make them I knew someone was going to have to go to the store for the ingredients.
We were in the middle of a winter storm, with a good six inches of snow on the ground, streets unplowed, traffic almost at a standstill.

George was recovering from a bout with the flu over the weekend, but he and Taraz went to Fred Meyer to get the ingredients. While they did the shopping,
I tidied up the kitchen, did some dishes, read the recipe thoroughly and underlined some key words.

It has been years since I made cream puffs, and to get them to puff requires careful attention to procedures and details. I'll post the basic ingredients here:


Cream Puff Pastry:

3/4 cup water
1/4 cup whole milk

1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs flour

2 Tbs unsweetened Dutch Process Cocoa

4 large eggs


Coffee Whip Cream:

1 cup cold heavy cream

2 tsp instant coffee granules
1/4 cup powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract


Chocolate Glaze:

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 stick butter, unsalted

3 Tbs corn syrup

2 oz chocolate unsweetened

1 tsp vanilla extract

I'll post this recipe for baking directions. I discovered variations in some of the procedures when I researched a variety of recipes. To get the maximum lift to the dough it is important to have a very hot oven for the first 10 minutes, then a lower temperature to bake them to a nice shiny brown.

I sure had fun making them, and I froze a few for New Years, when Ruhiyyih will be home for a few days.