Friday, December 19, 2008

Of Snow, Food and Shelter

Our two youngest sons are staying here for a few days ~ stranded by the snow. Taraz had hoped to take a bus down to Vancouver, but southbound traffic was stalled yesterday for hours. I told him just to hunker down here! Rahmat lives in a nearby community but works in Tacoma. He rides his bike to work, even in the snow. I imagined spinning wheels and cars sliding on the streets. So, he stayed over too. Having them here offers an exquisite enjoyment ~ cooking in the wintertime.

One of the fantasies that I entertain is an image of an old battered dwelling out in the country, in Newfoundland. Although it is nestled in deep snow, in scanty woods, there is a slight proximity t
o a community. Killick-Claw, the town in 'The Shipping News', inspired the image - a harsh place of winter storms, rugged coastline and blustery winds.

In the fantasy I've imagined living in a home
with none of the modern conveniences. No electricity or plumbing. Wood stove heating, baths in round metal wash-tubs. Yes, I know it would be challenging to cook for a family with such conditions, but that is what I imagine doing. And, as all my children are grown and 'gone', I imagine caring for old people who have nowhere else to go, no family, and I make sure they are warm, comfortable, well-fed, clean and happy.

I try to figure out all the details ~ how I'd grow the garden and keep the woodpile stocked, provide structure and purpose-filled days with everyone contributing something. Keep in mind this is a fantasy ~ I've never chopped wood! I try not to have my contemporary thinking interfere with the practical details of long-ago. You wouldn't be hearing the me say to one of my tenants, "Do some stretching exercises to reduce your cortisol levels;
that'll bring your insulin down, and you'll be able to manage stress better." I think in the old days they just brought out the whiskey jug. So, there are some major incongruities.

I told
Taraz about this fantasy while we were sharing a cup of tea today. He brought out a mixture called 'Magic Mountain'. It is a personal blend of Hoi Chai, a roasted green tea, oak moss, and a special tea he purchased this summer in Denver. It has twigs in it, and the infusion gives it the fragrance of a forest.

These are my oatcakes, served with white cheddar cheese flavored with malt whiskey. This cheese is unbelievable, so fragrant and robust. The salmon spread is a good treat for back-packing.

This dark Muscovado sugar was blended with a little molasses and cloves for coffee cake. Applesauce and cranberries, oat bran and whole wheat flour. Great with a little yogurt.

Taraz asked for a pie, so I made something similar to 'Black Bottom Pie' ~ chocolate, a little molasses and pumpkin. Left out the rum and heavy cream. Added the crumbled gingersnaps and orange-chocolate biscotti to the top for a little crunch. This pie was mouth-watering and rich, best served warm to bring out the flavors.

George has been home sick today. He's spent all day sleeping, and asked for some soup. Now, you'd think
Campbells Chicken Noodle, right? Nope. I made White Fungus Soup, one of his favorites. The dried fungi (tremella) are a Chinese delicacy ( I think they are like rubber). A simple beef-pork bullion is necessary, and I added tiny slivers of beef, vegetables, and noodles.

When
Rahmat returns home from work, I have a lasagna ready for him. I made only a small amount, using a bread-pan. That way there are very few left-overs. I've got mustard greens ready in the fridge. George picked the last row before the snow came down!

When I'm cooking in the kitchen the whole house gets heated up, and I enjoy the aromas, the sizzling of onions and garlic, pulling things out of the oven to cool, chopping and slicing. It gives a creative yet practical thrust to my day.

It has been so cold outside that I haven't ventured out into the snow. Fortunately, the temperatures have not been too bad. We've been running our propane fireplace in the mornings to heat the house up quickly.

Ruhiyyih, I just couldn't do any better than this for a snow picture. Your Uncle Frank sent it a few days ago. Sure is cute.