Monday, April 05, 2010

Dick Proenneke Journals

My sister gave me 'More Readings From One Man's Wilderness - The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke, 1974 - 1980' for an early birthday gift. I'm certainly enjoying this new collection, written exactly as he wrote the journal entries. His first book was edited for greater readability, but this newest book shows a more ideosyncratic style, and is so true to his nature and disposition. (photo, NPCA, flickr)

I'm reading slowly, savoring every entry. Proenneke was seldom as 'alone' as most of us realize. He not only enjoyed the abundant wildlife but floatplanes arrived every few days, with most visitors stopping at his place for a visit. He got out the coffee and tea, and made popcorn. Well, wouldn't you know it, that triggered popcorn cravings! Now I use my Orville Redenbacher hot air popper almost every day, spraying the hot kernels with olive oil and a little salt.