Monday, April 12, 2010

Harira in the Tagine

I found a recipe that the Moroccans prepare during the month of Ramadan. It has the reputation of being highly flavorful and hearty.

The harira simmers meat for hours in a rich broth made from crushed tomatoes, garlic, onion, and spices - turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, panch puran, and garam masala (a spice blend that is pungent but not hot.)

I'm still learning sequencing here, which spices to fry in mustard oil to release the potency, and when to add each spice in order. It is complicated, and I wish I could see it done in a class. These spices are the healthiest in the world.

I had to purchase Mustard Oil for some frying. It can only be found here in an east-Indian store that caters to east-Indian cooking. The owner explained all of it's uses, from cooking fish, enhancing spices, to its being used as a massage oil.
Given its punch, it probably could be used in my car's carburetor, to maintain optimum efficiency and performance!

The oil, from what I've read, has been used in India for centuries, but it is not approved for use in the United States as it is high in erucic acid, a monounsaturated omega 9 fatty acid. To sell mustard oil here it has to be labeled 'for external use only', but is readily used in all east Indian cooking. When I tasted it and used it to enhance my spices, I could instantly see why it is preferred. It creates just the right pungency to enhance the bland outcomes of most lentil dishes.

The harira originally uses lentils or garbanzo beans, but I wanted to use up some barley that my daughter gave me. I made a white basmati - wild rice blend, and put the harira on top.