Sunday, June 12, 2005

Black Eyed Peas and Cheryl Crow

We made a day-trip over Snoqualmie Pass to the Columbia Wildlife Refuge. We did some canoeing in the Columbia Wildlife Refuge, a beautiful place with water-filled potholes carved out by glaciers thousands of years ago. The water is pristine, the air sweetened with sage, and the canoeing is great - if, you don't have wind. And, we did.

George always convinces me that things will calm down, so lets load up, and, like a typical optimist when it comes to things 'canoeing', I went along for the ride. Well, the first mile or so it was smooth sailing, so to speak. I had my video camera going, and I got great images of all the mud-swallow nests up in the farther reaches of the cliffs. I video tape all our glides, rather than paddle, because my rotator cuffs are pretty shot due to so much paddling over the years. So, George 'power paddles' for the both of us. It works great until you hit wild waves and gusty wind. Thats what happened, and we were almost blown across the lake. Not fun.

We got back to the car, and decided just to explore. Eastern Washington is dramatic, with the Columbia River Gorge, the open vistas. We put on some music, or I should say, George does, and it is always a battle to get our tastes to 'match' comfort zones. Now, George is a disc jockey in his spare time, when he's not playing Therapist, and he goes by the name DJ George. But, his music can send me up the wall when he starts out with Doris Day or the Four Lads singing about 'Standing on the Corner'. He'll update to Earth Wind and Fire, Patti SaBelle, and Van Morrison (Hymn to the Silence, love it). Then over to Billy Swans, 'I Can Help', the O Jay's 'Love Train, and the Isley Brothers 'That Lady'.

We'll play an entire album of Fleetwood Mac while I'm filming combining operations along the road, dust swirling behind those big machines. Looks like the second cut for farming alfalfa. An album by Cheryl Crow is next, although I tell George 'All I Wanna Do' is switch over to 'Where is the Love' by Black Eyed Peas - they really describe the plight of the world today.

Exploring back roads always gets you to a secluded spot you can call your own, lay out a blanket, soak up a little sun. We did, then we opened up the door to the van and danced in the sagebrush! Percy Faith's 'Theme for a Summer Place, Andy Williams 'Moon River, and a song called 'Blue Velvet , can't beat those for making you appreciate dancin' on a summer day. Reminds me of Fleetwood Mac's 'BIG LOVE', and, it is!