Thursday, January 25, 2007

Our son Rue and his wife Annie are expecting a baby! This will be my second grandchild, an addition to Daisy who is now ten. I've waited ten years for this happy, blessed news. And, while Annie may be in the throes of fatigue due to her pregnancy, I'm reminiscing .... pulling out old baby clothes.

These were given to me by my aunt, who said they were worn by her and my mother. All of them handmade with the most tender little stitches.

They are almost 90 years old. The fabric is so thin it is almost transparent. They have the tiniest buttons and snaps, unlike anything I've seen today. I cannot imagine a baby holding still long enough for the parent to push the button through the tiny hole!

This satin dress must have been special, as all of the decorative lace and stitching were meticulous.


I recall when my babies were born, I had sewn little gowns for all of them, for those first few months. I also made quilts, and later I sewed their coveralls out of durable fabric, with heavy snaps for the shoulderstraps and the legs. It was a way of taking care of my child while I waited for the birth. I also enjoyed going to the fabric store, paging through pattern-books, and selecting colors and patterns that I couldn't find in the stores. I always felt that anything hand-done just looked better than storebought.

All of my children received little hand crocheted sweaters and caps when they were born, lovingly made by George's mother. As the kids grew, they'd get a new sweater from Grandma Dannells every year. She also knitted afghans for them. It kept her busy throughout the year, planning each blanket, sweater, and cap. She learned that I liked sweaters to extend way below the waistline, down the hips, to keep their bottoms warm. It may have looked funny, but in Montana that was what was needed.

I haven't used my sewing machine in several years. I hope to get it cleaned, so that I can work on a small quilt, and put together a few little garments for Annie and Rue's new baby. It is a delightful way to stay busy and to daydream, imagining the delight Annie and Rue will feel when they bring their new baby home.