Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Manchester State Park

This is the Torpedo Warehouse at Manchester State Park on Puget Sound. It dates back to the turn of the century when the site was a U.S. Coast Artillery Harbor Defense installation for nearby Bremerton.
The park is not far from George's office, and offers excellent beach-combing, hiking and picnicing. Over the years, we've come to enjoy the old buildings, including the gun battery and mining casement. It is a poplular spot.

Wintertime is an excellent time to explore, as wintering over wildlife are in the area. American Widgeons were abundant, bobbing close to shore. We heard the barking of seals on rocky outcroppings. Protected wildlife areas are abundant along this stretch of Puget Sound.

George and I were watching four eagles when Taraz snapped this picture. The eagles were slowly soaring in circles, enjoying the warm currents of the 'Pineapple Express', a warm storm front from Hawaii. The conditions of this storm make for some dramatic, pounding rain, then sunbreaks. (We got our hike in during the sunbreaks.)

This area has wonderful rocks and sand. All the embankments were quite steep down to the water, and slick from the rain. I was a little reluctant to slide down this embankment, as I wondered if I could get back up - my boots were the wrong kind, and I couldn't get a good grip. We told George we were going to give it a try, but really needed someone on solid ground to help us up if we got stranded. George stayed put, and Taraz and I slid down the embankment, just delighted we could get down there. I took lots of photos of Taraz, some of him jumping in mid-air from boulders, or turning over the big boulders to watch the crabs scurry. He was like a kid again, and it reminded me of all the fun we've had together on the beaches of Puget Sound. When it was time for us to climb back up the embankment, Taraz got up ok, but, my feet kept sliding and I couldn't get a good footing, so he had to grab my hand and pull me up. I braced my other hand on a tree-branch, and up I came, but not without a goodly amount of crackles in my arm and shoulder. Gettin' old, I guess, but I still love to explore just like a kid!

We completed our leisurely hike in about an hour, getting home just before the rain started up again.