Monday, September 24, 2007

Dilly Pockets and Whole Wheat Bread

It was about thirty-five years ago that I took an old unused sketchbook and started filling it with recipes acquired from all the pot-lucks and social gatherings I attended in Missoula, Montana. Pretty soon the book was filled with many savory recipes: Apricot Swizzle, Mossy Forest Salad (mung bean sprouts and fresh parsley), Eggs Benedict, Italian Minestrone Soup, Manicotti with Meatballs, Peach Marmalade, Old World Rye Bread, Spareribs and Sauerkraut... and a plethora of cakes, cookies and pies. Over the years the book has become so bespattered and torn, that pages now fall out. I keep the whole thing encased in a plastic bag with a zip-lock closure, and when it is time to bake, I pull several pages out, with the hope that the recipe I'm looking for is on top. Oftentimes, it is my home-made cinnamon rolls, but this weekend it was the recipe for Whole Wheat Bread.

I planned to make a simple vegetable soup, and have the bread ready by dinnertime, fresh out of the oven. The two would make a nice combination.

These loaves are raising in pans near the stove. My friend Carol Vaughn taught me how to make the bread, using molasses, honey and Stone Buhr whole wheat. At the time, about 35 years ago, we'd buy our whole wheat flour in 50 lb bags from a wholesale place. She'd take 25 lbs, and I'd take the rest. We also used large cans of yeast rather than the small individualized packages I purchase now. This is the finished soup and bread. I also made grape juice from the flat of Korean grapes that our friend Myong gave us last Sunday evening. We simply couldn't finish them, so I crushed them, cooked them, and put them through my food sieve. The most incredible, potent elixir was a result, so flavorful that only a few ounces are necessary, much like a shot of whiskey! I was able to make about 2 quarts, adding only a little sugar as sweetener.

On Sunday I made Dilly Pockets, an experiment.
Ruhiyyih asked that I have some Dilly Bread ready for her when she arrives on Thursday from Washington D.C. to spend a few days visiting. I'm hoping to pack these Dilly Pockets for our camping trip. Using this old recipe, which has sauteed onion and garlic and a whole container of cottage cheese in the bread dough, I made little rounds that are rolled out with a rolling pin. A couple tablespoons of ground buffalo meat sauteed with onion and celery is placed on top and an upper crust is pressed around each pocket. (A dried packet of Savory Herb Marinade is mixed into the filling.) The pockets are brushed with egg before baking, which renders them a dark brown when baked. The finished pocket is crispy on the outside, flavorful on the inside, and is a substantial warm sandwich. I had some left-over Pea Salad (frozen, uncooked peas, onion, shredded cheddar cheese, mayo and a touch of relish) as an accompaniment. I wanted to include this strange image - the butter mixing with some of the molasses, honey and milk for the whole wheat bread.

It was a productive weekend. I've put a bit away in the freezer, to be pulled out when Ruhiyyih arrives. In fact, we will be packed for our camping trip when we pick her up at the airport, heading out from there.