Monday, November 19, 2007

Wishing You A Happy Thanksgiving

What a flurry of activity surrounds this time of year! Ruhiyyih will be flying home for Thanksgiving, and I've been counting the days, baking, cooking, and getting the guest room ready. She will arrive Thanksgiving day, and my oldest daughter Laurel will pick her up at SeaTac airport.

The family will have a numbe
r of gatherings throughout the week to celebrate Ruhiyyih's arrival. We hope to get in some hiking, possibly some canoeing if the weather is good, and all the 'kids' plan to go out on the town together. Laurel, Ruhiyyih and I plan to bake cinnamon rolls at Laurel's home, and do a little shopping on Monday.

On Friday night George,
Rahmat and I went to the One Heart Cafe where Taraz works. This little espresso shop had an eveni
ng of music and poetry. Taraz served tea to the guests, and people danced. The music pounded through the room, guests were hooting and clapping, and the rhythm carried all the way out into the street.

Ayesha, a very lovely and energetic hostess for the evening.

Before we left One Heart Cafe, Taraz and Rahmat enjoyed some videos on U Tube.

George and I attended a baby shower for our Baha'i friend, Bahereh, who expects her baby boy in two weeks. This will be her second child. The shower was in her home, hosted by our friends Lori and Christine, who presented the usual games, making the afternoon quite delightful.
Here, Bahereh's mother greets a guest.

These are some of Bahereh's Persian friends. They brought their children, and their husbands sat out in the livingroom, away from all the commotion. This was a most delightful occasion, with everyone squealing over baby garments, booties and blankets. I can't think of a more wonderful way to celebrate Thanksgiving than to look forward to the arrival of a new baby.

Ruhiyyih tagged me on one of her last posts, but I've just been too busy to pick up on that tag, which was to mention a few things about myself. She knows I have a hard time figuring out what to say when pinned down for details like that, as I can't imagine anything in particular what would be worth mentioning! She called and said, "Oh Mom! Just list a few!", even providing a l
ist of things she particularly remembers. (The stuff kids remember, parents want to forget!) So, I'll just end this post with gratitudes, for family, for friends, and for art, music, good books, and the laughter and play that my grown children bring into our lives. They love to be together even as adults, and this is very rewarding to an old lady like myself, because someday I will be gone. Their endearing bonds of friendship will perpetuate the legacy of our family life.