Sunday, June 01, 2008

Afternoon Snack - Strawberry Crepe

Strawberries, Ricotta, Greek yogurt ... a simple crepe, cut in half with a splash of powdered sugar and yogurt on top.That was all I recall from last weeks' taste-thrills. I've been busy unpacking, doing laundry, cleaning the house. All the 'puttering and putting away' from a camping trip.

I've been preoccupied with tasks in the garden. Everything needs attention. I'm still sprouting a few fava beans on my windowsill, and starting zucchini in my back yard for transplanting over to Franklin Park Garden Plots. This way, I can control the sprouts and watch for crows while I work in the back yard. Crows love to pull up beans and sprouts just for the sport of it, and then your work is wasted. I cover a lot of my stuff with grass clippings to camouflage it.

Tomorrow I must build a trellis for my sweet peas and snow peas, mul
ch my potatoes, thin the carrots, broccoli and kale, and transplant several rows of calendula for a border. My twelve tomato plants have come through the cold weather in fine shape, mulched and protected from the wind and lower temps at night.

George and I had a canoe trip through Preacher's Slough on the Chehalis River today.
We portaged the canoe about a fourth of a mile down the trail, then put the canoe in the water. It was cold and misty on the water, so I wasn't overly disappointed when our paddle came to an end when we were hemmed in by fallen trees over the water.

On this section of Preacher's Slough it is common practice to leave these 'sweepers' hanging over the water. It provides a sheltered habitat for the salmon which are spawned here. Environmentalists have planted trees along the river bank and along the edges of the slough to reinforce shady areas.

I'm not spending much time on the computer...just too much to do. I keep reading how important it is to avoid a sedentary lifestyle and I guess I'm fortunate - everything I enjoy doing requires movement. The downside: I'm ready for bed by 8:00!