Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Surprising Delight: Lettuce Soup

I really hesitated describing this soup as 'lettuce soup', as it includes leeks, a fennel bulb, onions, garlic, yellow split peas, fava beans, carrots and green peas. But, my garden-grown lettuce in the broth made it simply amazing!

When I went to my garden this morning, I culled out a lot of the mature lettuce, many different varieties of red, bronze, light and dark green. All of the plants were getting ready to bolt, and the leaves were developing a strong flavor. I had to use everything up - quickly.

I was determined to experiment, by grinding up all of the plants in my blender with a bit of organic chicken broth.
It made the most beautifully colored broth! When placed in the sunlight on my kitchen counter I noticed translucent shimmering bubbles, all of which had glistening sunshine throughout. They seemed to dance together as I tipped the bowl of lettuce broth, reminding me of some of the algae bogs George and I have paddled through. Some bogs have so much organic matter in them that they develop little streams of bubbles that float from the bottom up to the top of the water and pop on the surface. So mysterious, almost breathing with vitality and life!

I had to chuckle at what I'd concocted, in an effort to maximize the production from my garden. So often, the leavings just get turned into the soil, as often we plant too many rows and cannot eat everything fast enough. But I'd been watching a BBC program on nutrition and the segment was on organic nutritional drinks that are 'light', and I decided that I'd give Lettuce Soup a try.

The strongest aroma is not the lettuce, but the sliced fennel root, fresh oregano, and minced garlic. Split peas and other legumes, like the fava, are simmered with carrots, onion and leeks in chicken bullion. I placed the pot to simmer on the back of the stove for an hour and went for my late morning jog. By the time I returned home, my lunch was ready!
I took some banana bread out of the freezer, sliced some lime wedges and hot red pepper, and my meal was ready in a flash. It was so good, so refreshing and light, that I ate one bowl, then another.

Lettuce Soup is new to me, but people have been making it for years. I've just never heard about it. This recipe is a variation on the theme, using less-than-perfect romaine, bok choy and some completely wilted radish leaves. It looks yummy. However, I will always blenderize my lettuce as it gives the broth that deep green color, and I prefer to pick the lettuce in the morning before it looses its freshness and vigor.