Sunday, October 19, 2008

West Fork of the Hoquiam River

This little guy was struggling to swim across the Hoquiam River when we noticed him mid- stream. He was just barely able to stay afloat.



He'd over-estimated his abilities, and just wasn't making any progress, so I slid my paddle under his belly and lifted him up out of the water. He seemed to be so worn out that he just clung to my finger, blinked his eyes, and tried to catch his breath.

We paddled over to the shoreline, where we could put him down on a nearby log. Aside from his golden belly and quivering adam's apple, he had the most luminous eyes, brilliant aquamarine and silver. While he clung to my finger he slowly closed his eyes, then opened them again as if he were making a wish: On the count of three... 'one, two.....and then the feel of warm sunshine on my tummy'.

When we finished our paddle an hour or so later, he was gone.