Friday, December 12, 2008

Caribbean Black Beans & Jalapeno Foccacia

I fixed this meal for lunch yesterday. I soaked the beans overnight the day before and used them in salads, so what was left I turned into Caribbean Black Beans.

This is a slightly sweet, hot and flavorful dish, with limes and orange juice, hot pepper sauce, brown sugar and cumin. Add a little onion and garlic, a tablespoon or two of red wine, a few tablespoons of tomato paste, and simmer it awhile. I added left-over lentil soup to the mix, which made the broth a little more thick and substantial.


I served the black beans with store-bought jalapeno foccacia, topped with cheddar and peppers. Served warm, it's jalapenos compliment the condiments in the beans.

I chopped a high-fiber slaw, drizzled just a touch of Tuscan dressing, and added a fresh fruit salad to the meal - pink grapefruit, mango, orange pulp, currants, grapes, and banana, with a sprinkling of cinnamon. This meal is a nutritious high fiber meal, perfect for an afternoon when I have a desire for carbs. I'll post my recipe, as I've not found anything online that is similar:

Caribbean Black Beans

1/2 cup chopped onions
2 Tbs minced garlic

2 Tbs red wine
1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 tsp cumin

2 cups cooked black beans

2 rounded Tbs tomato paste

2 Tbs lime juice

1/3 tsp hot pepper sauce

brown sugar and salt (to taste)

I also made a double-crusted Chocolate-swirl Pumpkin Pie for Taraz who is visiting for a few days.
He is down with a cold and is craving 'comfort foods'. I got him some fruit popsicles, ice cream bars and a package of Thera Flu. Although I wish he'd eat better, when someone is sick I give them exactly what they ask for. They are in misery! I know that when I'm not feeling well, I like a fluffy cake doughnut with a cup of hot tea. That's it.