Thursday, February 02, 2012

Walking Through My Neighborhood

One day while walking my route around the University of Puget Sound I went into the bookstore and browsed, coming upon this textbook for a class on currant agricultural trends - Fatal Harvest: The Tragedy of Industrial Agriculture. We all know the lessons of this book too well, and I'm curious to know how things will change for the better. All one has to do is check the growing medium we call 'soil' in eastern Washington, and know that without chemical additives it is almost non-productive soil.

I headed over to the Kittridge Art Gallery and enjoyed the paintings and photographs, greeting a student I know who is a Baha'i. The artwork featured natural images of holes in nature, and of the press of urban development on the natural landscape.

Walking along Alder, another friend drove by and honked his horn, waving a greeting. He is a professional photographer, and shares his photos with us on Flickr.

I posted a comment about my neighborhood on my son's Facebook today. He wrote about a dog that would visit the neighbor's home every day for an afternoon nap, to get away from all the little children that would pester him in his own home. My comment to Rue was "....On my daily walk I sometimes find an old dog, Bailey, resting out on the boulevard strip next to his house. As soon as he sees me he struggles to get up, walks over to me wagging his tail. I ask Bailey how he is doing, and give him a good scratch and hug. He and I are both in agreement, that only a moment is sufficient for this, and he ambles back to his place on the boulevard strip, waiting for the next person who cares to stop and remember his name."