Thursday, October 27, 2005

Home Canning - Spaghetti Sauce


We've picked the last of the unripened tomatoes, and they've ripened under newspaper. So, today I made Spaghetti Sauce and Tomato Paste.

I like to cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out all the seeds, then put all of it in a blender, to make a tomato paste. This way, I use the color from the skins to enhance the pale color from newspaper-ripened tomatoes. (When I make sauce from vine-ripened tomatoes, I'll blanch the skins off).

I heard the other day that Tomatoes and Blueberries are excellent food choices, because of their anti-oxident value. So, while the sauce was boiling in the processor-canning kettle, I took some grape juice, added two handfuls of blueberries, and blenderized them into a 'fruit smoothie'. It formed a little mound, like soft sherbut, and was sooooo refreshing. Try it sometime, you'll like it.