Monday, October 03, 2005

Table Talk at Brighton Creek


This photo is of a rusty propane tank hitched to an old trailer. Long unused, but still valuable, the old trailer has a patina that I enjoyed.

All the little bunk houses were closed up for the summer, and the weather was pretty dismal, so I snapped this photo, then went inside for brunch.

George held a spot for me at a table where the conversation was already lively, but, interestingly, not always easily understandable.

At our table, one young man spoke Khmer, with a smigeon of English, another gentleman spoke English with traces of Tamil, which is a Hindi language from India. (His wife speaks English laced with a French accent.) The man across from me, Farhad, spoke Farsi (Persian)with English interpretations to his Dominican Republic wife, who speaks mainly Spanish, and struggles to speak English...ahhhh, confusing, isn't it! I thought so.

Mainly, I just looked at twinkly eyes and animated hand signals, and left the rest to lip-reading. We'd gotten together to help figure out how to bring positive changes to the world, all of the world. And, it was sure obvious that a common language was a starting point.