Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Wide Portals For My Son at UPS - WA


My son, Taraz, got his training in Digital Media at Bates Technical College about two years ago. Since then, he has worked for a radio station down in Hemingway, South Carolina, as a programmer- disc jockey. That was like an internship. He and his brother, Rahmat, love to edit film and design video-games. They have done that kind of avocation for about eight years, just for fun.

When Taraz was in junior high, instead of hitting academics, he spent time doing interviews - mostly of me. And, we have a lot of family history on tape. He also experimented with sounds of nature and music, and now loves to put montages together.

But, it is not yet paying work. You know that story, of the struggling artist who washes dishes? I've got two of them, busting dishes at 'Gateway to India', and bunking upstairs - one in my studio/guest-room, and one on the floor in George's office...temporary lodging, I keep telling them. But, like some mothers, I wonder if the world is wide enough for them to get a footing.

I'll post a couple more photos of our walk - just a gentle afternoon stroll on campus.