Thursday, April 13, 2006

Collecting Eggs


Five years ago I had a Rhode Island Red hen that laid brown eggs, and an Arucana hen that laid blue-green ones. Every morning I'd hear a couple of cackles and squaks, and I'd go outside to check out their new eggs.

Maude and Henrietta had a little chicken run along my fence, complete with a nesting hutch made from the innards of an old chest of drawers, and a roosting hutch that I built. At night-time, Maude and Henrietta had a ritual, chattering together as they settled in for the night. One would face outward and the other inward.

Pictured above are their eggs, now bleached out by the sun. Also included in the photo are a few bantam eggs, the small ones, that a friend gave me about 10 years ago, and everything is nestled in old squash tendrils that I saved from my garden one summer.

Yes, I save little treasures, even something as simple as hen's eggs.