Thursday, April 06, 2006

More Greek Food Ideas


The grilled Greek Pizza shown above was 'take out' from a Greek fast-food place down on 6th Avenue, just a hop-skip-and jump from the house.

We were headed out of town to do a little canoeing, and it was purchased on the fly. This grilled pizza, with its goat cheese, olives and garlic, Kalamata tomatoes and peppers was simply wonderful. I couldn't recognize everything in it - I think thin strips of Eggplant were in it, too.

Eggplant is something I've had only a few times in my life - and it has to be fresh and cooked just right for the texture and flavor to come out right. I've recalled a recipe called Moussaka, that I remember from years ago. It uses ground lamb, gently sauted eggplant slices, fresh tomatoes, onion, and seasonings (olive oil, a little white wine, cinnamon, allspice, oregano,parsley, black pepper) that are layered in a pan, and mixed with a little sauce of butter, flour, milk, nutmeg. Parmesan cheese and toasted breadcrumbs are sprinkled on top. It is a very simple recipe. I'll admit that I use zuchinni for the casserole - mainly because I grow them in the garden, and I'm eager to use up my harvest.

And here is a recipe for Greek Easter Bread, baked on good Friday. Red eggs are placed on top of the bread (to symbolize the blood of Christ) after it has been braided, baked and cooled. Hot Cross Buns are also associated with Easter, although their origins lie in pagan traditions of ancient cultures, with the cross representing the four quarters of the moon. During early missionary efforts, the Christian church adopted the buns and re-interpreted the icing cross. This recipe can be done in a bread machine.