Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Old Treasures In The Attic


This last Saturday while it rained, I spent part of the day organizing some old files. In years past, I've collected quite a few antique postcards, letters, and family photos from Europe as inspiration for my artwork.

Fortunately, someone thought to bring these keepsakes to an antique shop here in Tacoma. When I explore the shops, I'm looking for script in foreign languages, old postal cancellation dates, sheet music, and money that has become worthless because the countries were reformed. I use all of these as backgrounds for collages.

It amazes me that people throw away such priceless momentos - such as family photos from 'the old country'. I would be hanging onto these, to show future generations. As I went through some of my stuff, I came across old letters and hand-written prayers by my mother, and I reread all of them. It was such a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

I'm going to include a few specimens from my stash of antique shop finds....languages that I don't understand, families, and old buildings. They all remain safe, bound in albums with my artwork.