Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Of Spawning Salmon and Djaje Belimoune

This little collection of lichen, moss and fir is sitting in a dish of water on the table in my den. It is my single expression of celebration that began with a walk on the weekend through the Swan Creek Nature Preserve in Puyullap.

We've done this hike before, with members of the family. This time it was just George and myself hiking up the trail through the woods and along the creek. I often walk ahead of George, to slow him down. There are details that catch my attention.

However, he was the first to say, "Look at the salmon! They're heading upstream to spawn!" Well, I tore off in a rush, walking along the pebbled beach, wading through the shallow water, trying to keep up with salmon wiggling and thrashing their way upstream.

As the creekbed became more shallow, salmon rested along the shore. I squatted down to run my finger along the back of one of the dying fish. It just lay there breathing its last, its gills pumping, the jaw rigid. It had only moments left. Although the outside of the salmon was compromised, the inside flesh was probably still edible, and I would have appreciated seeing what it looked like. This is a protected area, and the salmon complete the cycle of spawning, then add nutrients to the water when they decompose .

We ended our day attending a wonderful dinner, hosted by the Baha'is, featuring east Indian food.
There were poriyals, vegetable curry, Persian rice, chicken curry, pappadams and desserts. The cooking was northern punjab, not as spicy and flavorful as southern Indian recipes, which (in my opinion) are more complex.

Just as there are variations on how to cook potatoes, there are many ways to prepare pappadam, which I'd served for breakfast that morning with a curry of my own.
These pappadam can be seasoned with cumin, garlic and asafoetida, or left plain. They can be rolled very thin, or served thick like a crepe. Depending on how they are created, they can be used to hold food, crushed and placed into sambar like a cracker, or roasted thin and brittle like a potato chip. I served them Saturday morning, dried and warm, with curried vegetables, rice, and fried paneer (look like meatballs).

This Moroccan tagine was served on Sunday at our study circle. It simmered for hours, a rich fragrant blend of beef, vegetables, apricots and prunes, served with fresh-baked naan.

Djaje Belimoune is Marrakesh Chicken with Orange Sauce, an intense ambrosial experience. After the meal I continued simmering the broth until it was thick, like a curry, very strong and full-bodied. Then I added basmati rice that I'd fried in olive oil before steaming it, to crisp the outside. I mixed everything together, then added bread crumbs, walnuts and cilantro. It reminded me of Thanksgiving turkey and dressing, with a twist. (Sorry, no photo, too hungry! And, I wanted to experiment with left-overs.)
I blended both the Moroccan meal and the Djaje Belimounde together, making an extravagant 'Rice 'n' Beans, using all left-overs. The oranges and apricots were complimentary; the hominy and rice perfect. This was packed in George's lunch for two days. I called it a 'Fusion Succotash' when posting it in my workbook.

Mixed Vegetable Poriyal, a blend of green bean, hominy, red pepper, onion and garlic. I prepared a reduction sauce to intensify the flavors, and added roasted almonds and coconut. (Most poriyals are cooked in such a way that they are a dry curry, without sauce.) I could make this one course my meal, it was so good.