Monday, December 27, 2010

Pomegranate Salad - Walnuts, Olives, Green Seeds

Just finished reading Michael Pollan's "In Defence of Food", in which he counsels, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

How do we make good choices with the plethora of options at the market? Most of what he covered I already know - that real food is whole, doesn't come in a package; and people should cook and have a garden. Back to the basics. Oh, and he advocates foraging for wild edibles. I liked that - cattails and chickweed are abundant in this area.

Over the holiday I purchased "Turquoise - a chef's travels in Turkey" by Greg and Lucy Malouf. Pomegranate salad was featured. I made some changes to the recipe, and added chopped spinach, red pepper, and leek sprouts - nothing goes to waste in my kitchen. This cookbook is quite elegant, but it is the writing that appeals to me - personal travel notes, and lots of photos of Turkey. Recipes are modified by the author, who cooks regional cuisine with his own improvisations.