Friday, March 18, 2011

Keeping the Kitchen Warm - Cookin'

Friends were coming for dinner, so I thought, "What can I do with a handful of basmati rice, a package of turkey burger, and a jar of sliced apples for dessert?

I started by preparing
a casserole using meatballs, Persian rice, lentils, and stir-fried vegetables. The process used by the Persians for preparing rice is complex and time-consuming - much of it spent steaming the rice at a very low temperature, then letting the rice cool on a damp cloth to loosen the tadiq on the bottom. I used a different approach for the tadiq so it didn't harden or become golden, but the variation in texture was enjoyable, never the less.
The turkey meatballs were seasoned with at least a tablespoon of freshly ground cumin, pomegranate molasses, egg, whole-grain bread, finely chopped onion and garlic, and salt and pepper. Once sauteed, I drizzled sweet chili sauce over them, frying them until a soft, deep brown glycation occurred, intensifying the flavor.

I made cottage cheese salad for my lunch yester
day. Turmeric and paprika add antioxidants. Served with a simple balsamic and olive oil dressing, a splash of chow-mien noodles, walnuts, vegetable chop, and dried cranberries.

I used the jar of home-canned unsweetened apples for apple pie, made a crushed almond-walnut bottom crust and a whole wheat upper crust. The proteins from the nuts and yogurt temper the glycemic rush from the caramel-rum syrup. This pie was best served warm, so the caramel syrup could settle into the pie and bring out the flavor.

I'm pulling more leeks for soup. So good, as a bedtime snack, with a sprinkling of za-attar and crumbled tortilla. Since leek soup is exceedingly light, I side-dressed with buckwheat groats.