Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Last Of The Wild Apples

This is the last apple pie that I've made from the wild apples we found in the Duckabush Delta. I've baked it in an old rustic tin, and it is sitting on a 'gizmo' that collects the juices if they start to overflow into the oven. The 'gizmo' has a hole in the center, so the air current bakes the bottom crust. I've saved myself a lot of cleanup with berry pies using this gizmo. And, scoop up all that runoff syrup, and it is like eating candy.

My son Rue brought us a huge 20 lb. turkey. Since we will be having Thanksgiving with our daughter Laurel and her husband, Mehran, I'll be cooking that turkey tomorrow, and we'll be sharing left-overs with anyone stopping by.

This is a busy weekend, with everyone doing their shopping for the holidays. The malls and grocery stores are packed with holiday shopers. And, the espresso places are cheerful and lively, too, with people enjoying their desserts and lattes with friends and family. Pie and coffee.....a real treat!