Thursday, November 02, 2006

Remembering Time Together

For four years I helped care for my grand-daughter Daisy, like many grandmothers do today. When she came home from school, we would draw together in the late afternoon, when both of us were tired. It was a time for afternoon cocoa and a little music. I'd get out the colored pencils, markers, and gel-pens.

Daisy drew images that went with the music - in this drawing she shows two kids dancing. The guy is shouting and dancing, and the girl doesn't like it. All of Daisy's drawings involved people and activity, like herself. This drawing was done on a Sunday, when she was six.

My pencil drawing was of a forest in winter, late at night....the way I imagined Montana winters to be years ago. If I knew how to draw an owl, he would have been there, lending his whoooo-whoooooing to the night. Funny, how one can imagine that, even if he is not there. Sure is quiet.