Friday, August 21, 2009

Shopping At Pike's Market in Seattle

Ruhiyyih and I drove up to Seattle this week so I could purchase some spices at the World Spice Merchants near Pike's Market. This is an excursion that I make once a year, and it is always a pleasure to enter the shop - you can inhale the exotic spices before you enter the shop!

I browsed the spice blends for about a half hour, and purchased six - Poivron Rouge, Hawaij, Syrian Zahtar, Chipotle Chili Powder, Pink Peppercorns, and dried Tomatoes.


My most heavily used spice, excluding cinnamon and pepper blends, is Poivron Rouge. This is
a Moroccan spice that provides a delicious red pepper flavor similar to Hungarian paprika and is an intense deep red. I add it to soup, chili, and chorizo dishes.

Polenta Chipotle Soup benefits from the beauty of Poivron Rouge.

Tony Hill has written an excellent book, "The Spice Lover's Guide to Herbs and Spices". It provides not only the various blends but also provides the history, horticulture, traditions and techniques of particular seasonings. He says, "My work has given me access to the paprika fields of Hungary for authentic goulash, the saffron plantations of La Mancha for a fragrant paella, and the chile markets of the Andes for a properly spiced Peruvian stew".

Spices are thrilling and memorable. A simple meal, like 'Moong Dal and Rice Khichri' (rice and black lentils) is brought alive using cumin, turmeric, cardamon and cinnamon. Today, I varied the spices, using a fusion approach of Chinese, east Indian and Chilean condiments.
It had a fantastic flavor and punch from paunch puran, Tandoori and Curry Masala blends, and Hoisin Sauce. I added sauteed onion and garlic, black currants, and crushed nuts. I enjoyed sprinkling peppermint buds over the top. Their cooling essence was inhaled while the palate was savoring hot, spicy and sweet.

I'm harvesting tomatoes from my garden now...sliced, with a sprinkling of Tellicherry peppercorns and a pinch of sea salt. Last summer I sliced our tomatoes and added a simple borage flower . . . so colorful! So beautifully simple!