Thursday, October 01, 2009

Feasting Like There Is No Tomorrow

We heard that some colder weather is headed this way, so we picked more of the produce from my garden. What is shown here will be used for squash soup, root soup, salsa and roasted vegetables. Some of it will be prepared and frozen, to be enjoyed later.

I've been reading through some of my cookbooks for recipes, especially those from the Mediterranean: Lots of fresh vegetables, fruit, whole grains, seeds and nuts, fish, meat as flavoring, and olive oil. Add to this a little home-made farmer's cheese and yogurt, and you pretty much have our diet. Wonderful God-given abundance and flavors that are unforgettable.

However, the greatest inspiration for 'feasting like there is no
tomorrow' is Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations".He celebrates and explores ethnic food and the culture that shapes it. His energy and joy are contageous, and have had a tremendous impact on my cooking.

This past year Bourdain visited Sardinia, the homeland of his wife, Ottavia Busia. They sat outside in a patio overlooking the Mediterranean, browsed a local food market, and had a magnificent meal in the home of a family friend.

What wonderful platters of food: the hand-made pasta called Malloreddus served with wild boar; the salt-cured
fish roe called Bottarga sprinkled over spaghetti; and all varieties of fish, shellfish, and lobster. As the platter of Malloreddus was served, and the Bottarga, Bourdain said, "If you could smell this you'd be happily biting and snapping your way through your TV screen."

Bottarga, the egg roe from silver mullet, is cured in salt then waxed until it hardens. It is sliced and fried in olive oil with ga
rlic. Part of the Bottarga is shaved into a powder, which is sprinkled onto the oiled pasta. No sauce is used, as the fishy aroma and flavor of the Bottarga is all that is necessary.

I couldn't find fish roe locally, of course, but it can be ordered online. I used a substitution: Smoked Salmon, on sale at Tacoma Boys. I shaved it thin and then put it through my food grinder so that the end result was a light powder. To brown it and crisp it up like bacon I oven-roasted the shaved powder until it was a light brown.

Then it was sprinkled on top of cooked, oiled (Olive Oil) bucatini #6.

I roasted tiny eggplants, carrots and onions from my garden, and mixed them into the pasta. Simple, easy, so good.

I also roasted some of my butternut squash, and added eggplant alongside, dotted with walnuts. This was a bedtime snack.

I saw my physican this week for my annual check-up. He always hands out a print-out, of suggestions and tips. He recommended that I read "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. A nutritionist and research scientist, Dr.Campbell concludes that people who ate the most plant-based foods are the healthiest and tend to avoid chronic disease, and people who ate the most animal based foods got the most chronic disease. He cautions: Change your diet and dramatically reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity.

This has got me wondering where Bourdain, crazy in love with pork, (and years of drug usage), has done so well - he looks so energized, happy and healthy. I guess he says it the way it truly is: "I've had three or four full lives already most of which I was surprised to find I survived! This is like bonus round undeserved probably, but like some insane pinball machine, life keeps kickin' out extra points, regardless of how I played it."