Tuesday, October 06, 2009

No Chicken Soup Here

George came home from work on Friday complaining of chest pain and tightness. He brought his lunch box in from the car and said he hadn't eaten all day. Said he had a fever.

I immediately thought of his asthma but knew this was probably something else, maybe
pleurisy. I told him to drive to the Multicare Emergency Clinic over on 26th and Pearl, about 4 or 5 miles away. I wanted to make sure it was not swine flu or something.

While I cleaned up my kitchen - I was in the middle of canning green beans - I waited for him to return. But no phone call. It wasn't until almost 9:00 that he called, using a fireman's emergency phone. They loaded him up into an ambulance, and as he mentioned that the initial assessment was pleurisy, I said, "Well, I figured that."

I wasn't too worried about him, but he had to leave my car in the parking lot at the clinic, and that concerned me, so I told him I'd walk over there in the morning and pick it up. End of conversation, end of worr
y over George.

I went to bed, thinking I'd pick him up at Tacoma Gener
al the next day. Locked the doors, left the light burning in the den...and darn it, it is spooky sleeping all alone in a quiet house! All of a sudden I was all ears, alert to every sound in the neighborhood, the guys partying across the street, the cats standing-off and hissing in the back yard, cars driving by sending vibrations through the house. I turned up the sound machine to the sound of rain, and pulled a comforter around my ears.

Sometime after midnight I heard the bedroom door open, and George said, "It's just ME". He (didn't want to get shot) didn't want to frighten me. He crawled into bed, mentioning that he wal
ked home in the dark....uphill....through Hilltop, about three miles. He said it was tough at first (well, yes, I guess you could expect that with pleurisy!) and he thought about flagging a taxi that drove by. But, the neighborhood walk was done so quickly, he just kept going.

He slept late the following morning, and I got busy in the kitchen. I cut up a butternut squash and made soup.

That done, I made a sauce for my home-made ravioli parmesan.
These ravioli are made the day before and left to rest overnight.
They are stuffed with home-made farmer's cheese and Swiss chard.

On Sunday I got out my tagine, made a broth for pot-roast, and let the beef simmer all afternoon.
I made biscuits to sop up the sauce. He really liked this meal, saying that the aroma was 'killing him' all afternoon. Finally about 4:00 I served him a bowl before I headed over to pick vegetables in my garden.

I've been canning cabbage slaw, both green and red, and also a bean-cauliflower-carrot salad.

A friend brought over about a gallon of sweet-potato puree, so I froze it in quart size packets, ready for cookies or a pie. This is a good time of the year for pumpkin cookies. I made some of those for a coffee break, using the sweet-potato puree, and George packed some of them in his lunch today.


He is doing fine, and following doctor's orders. He's got his appetite back and is enjoying all the left-overs.