Friday, December 11, 2009

Torta Soffice de Mele ~ Light Apple Cake

When I was reading 'Tuscany The Beautiful Cookbook' by Lorenza de Medici I noticed a photograph of a beautiful cake covered with thin apple slices. I knew I wanted to make it, if for no better reason than to photograph the ripples the apples make when they are baked. They reminded me of the many beautiful wave patterns we've seen underwater when paddling upstream!

The cake is very simple to make, however I adapted ingredients to make it a little more moist and flavorful (yes, just reading ingredients, I could tell that my recipe was going to be more of a cake than a dry tort.) I'll post my recipe here, as this is a cake that I'll definitely make again because it is so exquisite.

Mix the following ingredients together in a blender or food processor, adding flour just 1/3 of a cup at a time, to keep the batter smooth and creamy:

2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
3 eggs
2/3 cup melted butter
grated zest of one lemon

1 tsp fresh-grated nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder

1/3 cup half'n'half


Butter and flour a 9 inch springform pan, and smooth the batter out to sides.
Add one can of Solo Apricot Filling over the top, spreading thin and to the edges.
Place exceedingly thin slices of peeled apple on top of the apricot paste, making a pattern. I used two apples, extra crisp and sweet. I sprayed the top with olive oil and a sprinkling of raw sugar.

Bake at 350 for about an hour. Place the cake under the broiler to highlight the light brown edges of the apples. Let cool, and push the cake out of the pan very carefully.


This cake is best served warm right out of the oven - the apple and apricot aroma is strongest then, and the flavor of the butter and cream are enhanced.

I served very small portions of this cake with some home-made yogurt at our Devotional Meeting. Nice, with a cup of decaf green tea.