Monday, March 22, 2010

Happy Naw Ruz

Well, a HUGE black fly is lying dead on my windowsill here by my computer - wings flattened, and him too. It must be spring!

We celebrated the beginning of the new year with two delightful hikes on Saturday, and two Naw Ruz parties on Sunday.


Over the weekend it was warm and sunny, with a bit of breeze. We explored ephemeral wetlands on the Clear Creek Trail in Kitsap County. There is a boardwalk part of the way, as these areas can temporarily hold water after heavy rain.

We hiked through the forest down to the beach at Anderson Landing. This 68 acre nature preserve requires yearly maintenance due to heavy rain. The volunteers had worked the area in the morning. Lots of gullies and ravines here.

I've invested in one good walking pole from REI. I've used it on my daily walks and it really helps to stabilize my gait and provide balance. It is great for hiking, too, especially on downhill trails. After researching online and talking to the clerk at REI, I felt this type of pole fit my needs, rather than trekking poles. I need to hold onto the top of the pole, using it much like one uses a cane, rather than angle onto it sideways, as one does with a trekking pole. I plan to get another one when we get our year-end dividend and apply a coupon for 20% off.