Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pineapple Fried Rice and Tarka Dhal


Most of the local markets are featuring pineapple on sale for Easter weekend. I hollowed one out and filled it with rice and two types of east-Indian dhal - chilka udad and masoor dal. The lentils are simmered with ginger and garlic pulp, turmeric, green chillies and salt.

Tarka dhal features simmered onions, tomato, mustard and onion seeds, and a little salt. This is partnered with the two dhal blends, and is very flavorful.

Rahmat came over for dinner, so I made a cornmeal crepe for him.
The tarka dhal and the fried rice are layered inside the crepe. I enjoy adding veggies to the pan to enhance the texture of the crepe. These cornmeal crepes contained red onions, leeks, and red chillies.

Rahmat also enjoyed left-overs from last night's dinner - pork chops. He polished off the meal with pineapple, then rode his bike home in the rain.

I drove out to Watson's today to get my Walla Walla onion sets, red onions, and white onion sets. If the garden has been plowed by the Park District, I'll put in my beets and chard on the weekend, and try to plant my onions.