Monday, August 30, 2010

Testing Rain Gear on Mt Townsend

I made a point on this hiking trip to plan emergency provisions - namely, effective rain gear. On our Mt Siyeh climb in Glacier Park, a 12 mile hike up to 8,000 feet, most of us were poorly prepared for sudden rain, hail, thunder and lightning - especially Daisy, pictured above, listening to her grandmother's final checklist.

We learned that no matter the weight of a backpack, it must contain everything needed for the worst conditions, not just what we'll need for predictable weather and an easy day-hike. My son Rue said, " Plan for the worst; hope for the best".

Rue and Annie were camped at Lena Creek Campground, in the Olympic National Forest. We joined them for an afternoon hike up Mt Townsend, bringing Rahmat with us. We had pleasant weather - mid 60's, scattered clouds, with the possibility of sun-breaks. But the weather on Mt Townsend was completely overcast, with fog drifting through the trees. We had to plan for rain.

Annie put a heavy sweatshirt on Daniel, and packed a coat, hat, mittens and rain jacket for him. All of us were loaded with warm clothing, rain gear and food - which made our packs pretty heavy. I've learned, since our hike on Mt Siyeh, to carry food and drinks on my hips, and to pack clothing and rain gear in my backpack. That distributes the heaviest load on my biggest bones, and keeps the pressure off my shoulders, which have really taken a beating over the years from gardening, canoeing and care-giving (lifting old people).

Rue lead the way with the dog, Starbucks, with Rahmat right behind. They had boundless energy, leaving Daisy, Annie, George and I behind, hiking at a slower pace. However, we all stayed together, something we also learned on our Siyeh hike.

I was trying out some new all-terrain Muc
k boots, which I hoped would keep my feet dry. (On the Siyeh hike the rain had poured down my slacks right into my good hiking boots, resulting in wet feet the last six miles of the hike.) I was pleased with the Muck boots - they held up and were comfortable without any foot trauma or blisters. My feet stayed dry because my rain pants were pulled over the boot, down to the ankle.

As we expected, the fog turned into sprinkles, then rain. Without hesitation, when I felt those first raindrops, I stopped, pulled my rain gear out, and put it on - waterproof jacket, pants, and gloves. George felt I was holding things up, acting a bit prematurely, but I assured him that it was better to put rain gear on before we got damp, before our hair got wet. Otherwise, when hiking downhill we wouldn't generate enough heat to get dry or stay warm. I urged him to do the same, and he pulled out his poncho. I had an extra pair of climbing gloves in my pack, so he put those on also.

Within moments Daisy, Rue, Rahmat and Annie put on rain gear.
This full-visored poncho had the best hood of all - it kept the rain off Rue's eyes. However, ponchos have their limitations - those portions not covered get wet, like arms and legs - and the seat of the pants. I'm convinced full-body protection is best - jacket, pants, and gloves carried in the backpack at all times.

Never underestimate the importance of waterproof gloves - when it rains hands get cold if they are wet, and they become miserable if there is wind. So often, our rain gear is in our canoeing box, out in the garage. We need an additional set, stored in our backpacks: If it isn't handy, it won't be packed.

When shopping for effective rain gear 'water-repellent' is the first level of protection, for light rain. However, in heavy rain, 'water-proof' gear is the best. We've used inexpensive waterproof apparel for
canoeing over the years. It is great, but gets hot when hiking. I now prefer to have lighter-weight, breathable waterproof material.

From time to time my sister sends suggestions for loading up the packs, so we are totally prepared. She wrote recently: "This time of year, you really have to have a hiking pack that takes into consideration EVERYTHING. The downfall of many people is that they just groan at the thought of the extra weight of the pack---and take their chances. Always think to have on hand in your pack what would make you comfortable should you need to spend several hours lying on the ground, waiting for the gurney to arrive! Rain pants have always been in my pack (except on Siyeh Pass when I took them out to make room for Frank's food and water! and, of course, that's when I needed them!)....anyway, rain pants can be used to WARM YOU UP even when it isn't raining. And you always need a headlamp and a warm hat. I even have a spare pair of glasses in my pack should I break a lens or something. Oh, and always have 4 aspirin on hand in case someone gets serious chest pain. You can save a life just by giving 2-4 aspirin to a person beginning a heart attack. They don't take up much room. Each time you take a serious hike, you think of one more thing to put in your pack. Soon, your pack is YOUR pack and it just stays the same for all hikes."

Well, I had to laugh - for the fun of it, I tried on Rue's pack, about 30 lbs...it was all I could do to straighten up after loading it up onto my shoulders!

I have my sister to thank for suggesting a little neck scarf - it may seem decorative, but it could be used as a tourniquet in an emergency, is useful for cleaning the rain off my glasses, and - heaven forbid - could be used as toilet paper or a baby wipe.