Monday, February 07, 2011

Persian Rice With Potato Tah-Dig

One of my projects for last week was Persian rice with potato tah-dig. After having it explained by my son-in-law, Mehran, I googled several U-tube videos showing the various processes involved. Of the three that I watched, all were slightly different, but with similar outcomes. I enjoyed Reyna Simnegar's approach the best - simple and happy.
I also used her blog, Kosher Persian Food, as a reference.

To prepare Persian rice, I layered al dente rice and al dente lentils with garlic, cinnamon and fresh dill. Meat was simmered with garlic and onions, and placed along the edges. I cooked thin-sliced orange peelings in brown sugar, dried them in the oven, and placed them on top of the rice, shown in the photo below.

Holes were poked into the rice with a wooden spoon and used as steam vents. A tiny glass of saffron was placed in the middle.

When cooking is complete, the rice is inverted onto a plate, with the tah-dig on top. A small amount of rice is mixed with the saffron liquid, and this colored rice is placed on top with the tah-dig.

I served Spinach Khoresh with the rice at dinnertime. We had a Study Class that evening, and one of our guests said, "You cooked Persian rice - I can smell it!"